Stocking up on air purifier for mould and other pollutants has become increasingly essential. You see, indoor air quality tends to be more polluted than outdoor air. And this is primarily because we spend a great deal of our time indoors. Given the disastrous effects of climate change and smog, we take refuge in our indoor environment. But exactly how clean is the air indoors?
That’s a difficult question to answer, but you can always take measures to ensure fresh breathing air at home. Lack of clean air quality can cause serious health risks. It can put you and your family, especially children, at risk for a wide range of breathing ailments. These include asthma, breathing disturbances, congestion, allergies and more.
It is increasingly important to take measures to fight against indoor pollutants, including pollen, mold, and dust. It is pertinent to eliminate all culprits that lead to pollution and allow the house to be thoroughly ventilated. All it takes is simple strategies and habits. For instance, you must stop smoking indoors, and invest in a quality air purifier for mold.
In this article, we will walk you through some strategies to ensure your indoor air is clean and fresh.
Here’s everything you need to know:
Mould is a highly prevalent aspect of nature and a distinct feature of dust. For those who are unaware, a mold is a microscopic form of fungi. It is a common source of air pollution as it travels through our environment, triggering severe health concerns. Mould tends to be much more common in areas that boast high levels of humidity and high temperatures.
Outdoors, mold works as a beneficial agent of decomposition, but indoors, it can wreak havoc on our health. It boosts the ability to reproduce by spreading its microscopic spores across the air. These mould spores continue to travel through our air until they find a damp surface that encourages their growth. They continue reproducing and threatening our indoor air with a wide range of risk factors.
Air purifiers for mould aid in improving our air quality and allowing us to feel better. However, they cannot eliminate the source that creates mold and mildew. Mould can lead to serious allergy flare-ups, including skin rashes, congestion, coughing and more. It is also a culprit behind asthma and respiratory issues. Other symptoms include nausea, memory disturbances, rashes, respiratory issues and more.
Long-term exposure to mold can even lead to life-threatening ailments, including cancer, pulmonary injury, pneumonitis and more. Given that mold is a serious concern, many people believe that an air purifier might not be of much use.
However, air purifiers featuring HEPA filters are highly effective in eliminating mould spores. They work by trapping the mould spores traveling through our air and barring them from reentering our space. The majority of the mould professionals use HEPA air purifiers for mould cleanups. They are highly reliable for improving air quality and eliminating mould spores.
However, it is important to invest in an air purifier that boosts germicidal UV-C light and an activated carbon filter. Other than mold and mildew, air purifiers are highly effective at eliminating other pollutants as well. Given the alarming increase in smog, which has penetrated our indoor environment, air purifiers are crucially essential.
Our indoor environment is brimming with a wide range of pollutants other than mold and mildew. For instance, fabrics, plastic and cigarette smoke exposes us to benzene, while carbon monoxide and formaldehyde are also very common. Perfumes and hair spray expose us to volatile organic compounds (VOCs).
These harmful chemicals promote serious ailments, and the easiest way to eliminate them is by adding indoor plants. These chemicals can trigger severe symptoms, including nervous system disorders, headaches, allergies, and even cancer.
You simply have to stock up on air-purifying plants, such as snake plant, spider plant, aloe vera, and Barberton Daisy. The Boston fern and Broad Lady Palm are also very effective at eliminating indoor pollutants.
Smoking gives birth to a great many health complications, not just for the smoker, but also for those who inhale the smoke. Secondhand smoke is much more dangerous than actually smoking a cigarette. You see, cigarette smoke gives birth to more than 4000 chemicals, the majority of which tend to be carcinogenic. One cigarette can leave lingering traces of harmful chemicals on your curtains, furniture and walls.
These chemicals will penetrate your indoor environment and linger around in the air you breathe. Avoid smoking inside the house, and encourage your guests to do the same. If someone insists, ask them to smoke outside if they must.
Air fresheners are common sources of phthalates, which pollute our environment and air. You might be attached to the serene smell of a pleasant air freshener, but you are blissfully unaware of the risks. You see, as we inhale the chemicals present in aerosols, we put our heart at the grave risk of often life-threatening ailments.
The phthalates present in air fresheners tend to cause disruptions in our endocrine. These tend to be particularly damaging for toddlers and children, whose endocrine systems are still developing. If you want to enjoy pleasant fragrances, use scented candles or essential oils instead.
Carbon Monoxide Detector
The heightened pace of climate change and smog has exposed our indoor environment to a wide range of chemicals. Carbon monoxide is the most common of these chemicals, and it is the culprit behind numerous ailments. This odorless gas is prevalent in our indoor environment and can trigger serious health concerns.
More exposure to carbon monoxide could lead to flu-related symptoms. No one is safe from this gas, including adults, children, and even your pets. A carbon monoxide problem is a tricky one, especially since the odorless gas cannot be detected. In such a situation, you must take protective measures by investing in a carbon monoxide detector.
Moreover, you must also take measures to ensure that this poisonous gas stays away from your environment.
Paint with Care
The paints we use to decorate our walls and homes also release trace amounts of harmful gases for months after the paint job. Even if the smell has faded and the paint has dried, the gases continue to dominate our environment. These gases are known as volatile organic compounds (VOCs), and they include life-threatening chemicals, including acetaldehyde and formaldehyde.
It is important to shop for chemical-free paints that boost a low density of VOCs. Be sure to avoid paints with any kind of chemicals and waves. Also, when you are painting the walls or fixtures, be sure to open the windows and turn on the exhaust fans. This will help drive away all gases outdoors.
One should not only care about the outdoor air, but the indoor air is also equally important.