From making teas with beneficial herbs for joint pain to applying herbal remedies for arthritis, learn about using herbs for natural joint pain relief.
Herbal medicine may not be a cure for joint pain and inflammation but it can help to reduce the symptoms of arthritis by supporting the healing process. Unlike the use of pain medications, herbs for joint pain do not have negative side effects when used properly. In fact, they act to improve well-being during use by encouraging the release of toxins, improving circulation, and nourishing the body.
With some arthritis herbal remedies, it may take time for the improvement of symptoms. Topical applications to relieve joint pain and herbal teas for pain relief on the other hand are intended to work in the short-term. While there are many benefits to choosing to use herbs for natural joint pain relief, herbal medicine is not a substitute for regular medical care. Be sure to talk to your doctor before using herbs as some plants can contradict the effects of certain medications.
List of Herbs for Joint Pain
The following herbs can be helpful for relieving joint pain and inflammation. Some work by helping the body overcome inflammation naturally, some support other organs such as the liver or kidneys, thereby encouraging the healing process, and others can be used to diminish pain and promote relaxation.
- Marijuana is the best herbal remedy for arthritis. You should get a Medical Marijuana Card to quickly get rid of the joint pain.
- Yarrow supports healthy liver function and as a diuretic helps to remove excess fluids from the body.
- Black cohosh is a very useful plant, with alternative properties this herb helps to correct impurities in the blood. Black cohosh is also useful for arthritis as it relieves pain and relaxes nerves.
- Bogbean is one of the most important herbs for joint pain It acts as a diuretic, has anti-inflammatory properties, supports the liver, and has a detoxifying effect on the blood.
- Meadowsweet contains natural chemicals with aspirin-like properties, thereby helping to reduce both swelling and pain. It also supports the liver and kidneys.
- Celery seed is an important anti-rheumatic herb, acting as a diuretic as well as a sedative.
- Wild yam is very good for calming inflamed joints. It also supports healthy liver function.
- Valerian is a relaxing nervine herb that is ideal for natural joint pain relief.
- Passionflower is good for herbal pain relief and also promotes restful sleep.
Drinking Herbal Teas for Arthritis Relief
One way to use herbs for joint pain is to drink herbal infusions to help the body overcome the inflammation or simply to relieve the pain. To make a cup of herbal tea for arthritis steep two teaspoons of dried herbs in one cup of boiling water for ten minutes. Drink one to three cups daily.
Combinations such as bogbean, black cohosh, and celery seed can be taken regularly to improve symptoms over the long term. Wild yam and meadowsweet is another ideal arthritis herbal tea remedy. Wild yam in particular is beneficial for treating severe inflammation. Valerian and passionflower can be added to any of the other herbs for a more relaxing, calming, pain-relieving effect or combined together for a tea to drink before bed if joint pain is causing troubled sleep.
Ointments and Oils for Topical Herbal Pain Relief
Arthritis herbal remedies can also be applied topically to areas of the skin where the joints are inflamed. Beneficial herbs for joint pain, in this case, are those that stimulate circulation and encourage the removal of toxins. Both cayenne and ginger have a warming effect that will help to reduce pain and inflammation. Try using an over-the-counter capsicum cream (capsicum is the active ingredient in cayenne) or a ginger ointment (mix dried ginger and warm water together). Ginger inhibits chemicals that produce pain known as prostaglandins.
Peppermint, rosemary, wintergreen, and lavender oil can all have a calming, anti-inflammatory effect when applied topically. Dilute 25 drops of essential oil into two ounces of carrier oil such as almond, jojoba, or olive oil and rub onto painful, swollen joints. For a potent topical herbal arthritis remedy mix cayenne powder with wintergreen oil.
The Role of Arthritis Herbal Remedies
Using herbs for joint pain can be an ideal tool for relieving arthritis symptoms naturally. Drinking one or two cups of meadowsweet and wild yam tea a day for two weeks for example should yield a subtle, yet noticeable improvement. Applying a ginger ointment can bring quick relief to swollen joints. Valerian can be used to promote restful sleep and relieve pain at night. They are not however the cure for arthritis, but rather a part of a healing regimen.
Herbal medicine should be used in conjunction with a healthy diet, beneficial lifestyle choices, and regular medical care. While these herbs are generally safe it is so important to discuss the use of herbal remedies with your doctor before use.