Erectile dysfunction, which is commonly known as impotence, is defined as not being able to get or keep an erection strong enough to have sex.
Erectile dysfunction is of two types, one is occasional and the other one is the chronic erectile dysfunction.
You need to know that occasional erectile dysfunction is not uncommon as it is found in one in every 5 men aging over 40, but if it’s persistent and you are constantly facing lack of erection, erectile dysfunction can be the sign of a more serious health issue, and so you should immediately visit your doctor.
Here are 8 surprising causes of erectile dysfunction you should know:
- High cholesterol. As we know that the high levels of cholesterol increase the risk of atherosclerosis where the arteries become narrowed and clogged. This results in impaired blood flow. When the same thing happens to the arteries in the penis, it can prevent enough blood to the penis which is required to create an erection needed for the intercourse.
- Depression. Depression is very common nowadays. This can cause a lack of interest in sex due to tension and depression. You need to visit your doctor if you are not getting an erection due to depression. You can also use products like Rockerect to solve this issue.
- Smoking. Smoking causes many other diseases other than heart and lungs diseases. Smoking causes serious damage to blood vessels, including those that supply blood to the penis which can result in difficulty in achieving an erection.
- Cycling. Most of the people are unaware that long hours in the saddle without changing position can cause compression of the perineal nerves and blood vessels. This results in nerve damage which causes erectile dysfunction. Some types of saddles are worse than others. If you are feeling tingling or numbness in your penis while cycling then you need to adjust your riding position and take a break. You should also consider looking at a different type of saddle, too. Rodeo riding can have the same effect.
- Medicines. The other major cause of erectile dysfunction is medicines. It can be a side-effect of many medicines, including some antipsychotics and antidepressants, cholesterol-lowering medicines, high blood pressure medicines, and epilepsy medicines. Most of the medicines are related to the blood and cholesterol can result in erectile dysfunction as a side effect.
- Stress. If you are not feeling relaxed during intercourse then it can be difficult to get a good erection. Having stress and anxiety can overflow onto your sex life, and you may find you can’t perform as well as you normally could. ‘Performance anxiety’ is a common cause of erectile problems. You need to learn the art of foreplay if you are suffering from performance anxiety.
- Diabetes. The risk of erectile dysfunction is increased by threefold by the effects of diabetes on nerves and blood vessels.
- Peyronie’s disease. This disease results in a bent, rather than straight, erect penis. Most of the men with Peyronie’s disease can still have sex but for some, it can be very painful and result in erectile dysfunction.
If you suffer from erectile dysfunction, you don’t need to be embarrassed. Erectile dysfunction affects one in 5 men over 40. You should visit your doctor as your doctor can help identify the cause of your erectile dysfunction, and put you on the path to successful treatment.